Thursday, September 20, 2007

Steps Eight through Ten - The Back is Done!

Thursday September 20, 2007 (7:02 – 9:35 PM, 2 11/20 hours, 25 23/30 hours total)

Today I assembled the back of the harp’s in one fell swoop. I started off by sanding down the braces to a flush, making a smooth surface for the back to rest on. After that, I dry-fit the back, choose the surface without a large brown smear down the middle, and a very beautiful set of grain. I traced where I felt I should cut off excess material on the back, and then I squeezed the back panel between the table and a wooden block. I cut off the excess, leaving enough room to sand to a flush. When I marked and cut the back panel, I then practiced using a power brad nailer into a scrap piece of cherry. Once I figured out the proper level of pressure, I knew I was ready to continue onto the rest of the steps. I marked spots around the perimeter of the board that was about half an inch away from the outside and an inch apart from each other. When I had my goals, I applied the glue, smoothed it out, put the back on, clamped, and began the nailing. The nailing went smoothly, considering I was relatively new at it. I had a bit of trouble keeping the tool vertical at all times, so I might not have perfect nail placement.

I rested 5 lbs. sand bags on top of the braces (hidden by the back panel) and ensured that it was safe and secure. Steps eight through ten have now been completed.

Photographic Evidence (Step 8)
Photographic Evidence (Step 9)
Photographic Evidence (Step 9)
Photographic Evidence (Step 9 and Me)
Photographic Evidence (Step 10)
Photographic Evidence (Step 10)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt --

I'm so impressed! This is quite an exciting project and such a sweet one at that (both in anticipation and musically!).

I'm honored to be following your progress. The harp is an absolutely beautiful instrument and I hope building brings you much joy in the tough and easy times (hopefully less of the tough stressful times!)

-Miss Galbreath

Anonymous said...

People should read this.