Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Huge Load of Nothing Special

With the soundbox, harmonic curve and neck, and the feet all ready to sand, I went out to buy myself two new types of sand paper: 150 and 180-bit grit. These will be used one at a time over the entire piece of wood before I move onto the next kind. I will know when to move to a higher value when I see small marks caused by the sand paper to form on the wood.

For the last month and a half, I have been sanding and sanding the harp. I have completed two walnut feet (which were a bit of a pain, due to all of the curves), the body (which was pretty strait foreword), and the combined harmonic curve (a super pain, because of a lot of curves and cuts) and the pillar (very easy). I started on the feet with 150-grit to remove any marks already in the wood due to the cut from the original block. After I started to make my own marks, I used the 180 to buff out those marks and smooth even more. Finally, I used a 220 to make it the smoothest it has ever been. I repeated those steps with all three wood groups.

My hands hurt, and at times I felt like I breathed in more dust than air, but it is worth it. The harps feels so much better now.

Total time? Over a dozen hours of sanding off and on.

No comments: